Wednesday, November 09, 2005

'A SLOW BOAT TO CHINA'

I have heard that saying for as long as I can remember. Until yesterday it was always just an expression used to exaggerate something not happening as quickly as I thought it should.

Let me start from the beginning. I like to send packages from time to time. I had asked Christa for their actual mailing address so that I could send a box. I haven't been to China or any other country that write with those artistic little symbols so I wasn't sure how I was going to address it. They, Todd and Christa, informed me that their address consisted of words, not words I recognized, but at least words that consisted of letters I knew. So, I got my package togather. The contents are another story. I taped the box up, put the address label on it that I printed on my computer and after taking bets from my friends about what it would cost to mail, went to the post office.

When I put it on the scales the girl told me it was almost 15 pounds and would cost $75 if I wanted it to arrive in 2 weeks or so. I thought for a moment and realized that the contents weren't worth that much and asked her what my options were. She said that for only $35 I could send it by boat. She said it would take a month. I figured if she said l month it would probably take 2 months. I thought about the contents again and I knew chocolate could last 2 months if it wasn't in my house, so I said fine and gave her my check. I hope the boat is a fast one.

Now about the contents. It does have Hershey kisses, pens, index cards, spices, coffee, zip lock bags, rubber bands, duck tape, coloring books and stickers. The funniest items were the pie pans. I stopped at our new Super Target to get them and guess what I noticed when I was in line to pay....yes, that familiar little sticker 'MADE IN CHINA' I am just hoping those pans find their way home.

1 comment:

The Shoof said...

That's pretty funny about the pans. It reminded me of something my wife once said. I worked with a guy from Taiwan who was traveling back home for a visit. He asked us if we wanted anything. To which my wife responded "How about something made in America? Everything I own was made in Taiwan."