Saturday, August 16, 2008

RECAP KY TRIP

We had a very successful and fun trip to Louisville.

I found and brought home some really cool things from my childhood and some things that were in our family long before I was even thought of. I am a firm believer that things should be used up instead of kept in a safe place to save for a later date but if other people felt that way I would not have these treasures that I brought home for myself and for others. (We also would not have filled a 40 cubic yard dumpster or made some $$$ at the scrapyard)

Soon, I will show you photos of the "things" that I had to pull out and carry 1,000 miles because they had meaning to me but first I wanted to show the real important treasures.

We had a family reunion and the photos of that haven't been sent to me yet but it was a wonderful day.

These photos are of my cousin Rich (Richard to the family). He has been a stage hand for most of his adult life and a party boy since he was big enough to walk. He was always fun. He and Robin were quite the team. We lived at opposite ends of town but we loved their visits. Richard and his brother had cool toys we didn't have, so we were impressed.

One of my favorite memories was when they would come to visit and bring their soft red rubber kick ball. We would play with it for hours and then when it was getting dark and they had to go home Robin would kick it as hard as she could into the field of tall grass. The result was that we would just keep it for them until they came back.

Richard never got mad but the memory he has of me, the younger cousin was not as pleasant. He remembers me tattling on him for cursing. He said that he only said shoot and darn. That is not the way I remember the story. (You would think that after 50 years he could let that go.)

I also remember him taking me to school one time when I was 5 and staying with them. He went to Catholic grade school and I was his "Show and Tell" that day. I stood up in front of the class of 5th graders and said the books of the Bible. I thought that was a cool day. I got to sit in a desk just like the other kids until lunchtime when my aunt came and picked me up.

This is not a very good picture of Carol but since it was at the end of the week when I worked her, Richard, David and Ronnie like slaves I thought it would be okay to post it. She is with Irene, Rich's wife. We had such a fun time I look forward to seeing them all again.










1 comment:

Vicki said...

Well, Carol, I notice she didn't even post a picture of HER!.. SHE must have looked REALLY bad!!! I'm just glad you were able to take care of her on her birthday when she got OLDER! She really should be nicer to you! I'll stand up you, girl!